12 March 2006

Coen (closing thoughts)

And with The Ladykillers, that brings me up-to-date in my Coen Bros. Chronocinethon. If forced, I'd probably rank their films in three groups:

Excellent Bros.

  • Blood Simple.
  • Raising Arizona
  • Fargo
  • The Big Lebowski
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Still Good Stuff Bros.
  • Miller's Crossing
  • Barton Fink
  • The Man Who Wasn't There
  • The Ladykillers

What the? Bros.
  • The Hudsucker Proxy
  • Intolerable Cruelty

Two misses out of eleven ain't bad at all. Also interesting: seven out of eleven were period pieces. It looks like the Bros. next major movie, Hail Caesar, will be another period film. I'm looking forward to their take on 1920s theater. Not doubt it'll have some interesting characters speaking in amusing dialects. Good enough for me already.