28 June 2004

Cronenberg (1980-1982)

1980 - Scanners – It's cool to see the theory discussed in Stereo actually get applied in real situations. I've seen this movie a number of times, but this is the first time that it occurred to me that Cameron is not "the good guy." He's the strongest scanner in the world, yet only bothers to prevent himself and his girlfriend from getting shot; everyone else dies. I don't think he really cares about anyone but himself, even if he doesn't realize this consciously.

1982 - Videodrome – Probably the quintessential Cronenberg movie. What's amazing, also, is that this film could be translated into the Internet era and work just as well. One minor example that struck me was when Brian O'Blivion mentioned that everyone in the future will have a television identity -- and we do, online. I can't wait to listen to Cronenberg's commentary on the up-coming Criterion release.

(comment in the main post)