02 October 2008

6WH: Oct 2

I'm going to try to catch up on all of these After Dark Horrorfest films this October, provided Netflix can get 'em here fast enough.

The Abandoned (2006) directed by Nacho Cerdà
Spaniards making a film about Russians in the style of Japanese horror. A woman born in Russia and adopted by Americans travels to her birthplace in search of information on her parents. She discovers that her mother was murdered shortly after her birth and she's inherited the family farm. Off to the farm she goes, where she discovers the twin brother she never knew she had and some ghostly goings-on.

I'm glad I watched this with my wife. Through her, I could see how expertly constructed the suspense sequences in the middle of the film were. Such things, sadly, don't have an affect on me -- I find them slightly boring -- but the missus was hiding her eyes and threatening to leave the room. Watching a horror movie that has that effect on people is fun. Outside of that, the beginning of the movie is a very slow build and the end is the type of Japanese-style ghost story stuff I don't really care for. Still, the movie is shot with such style that I can't help but admire it. (7/10)