08 October 2008

6WH: Oct 7

The Hamiltons (2006) directed by Mitchell Altieri & Phil Flores
The movie had me guessing for quite a while. At first, I assumed it was a suburban version of Texas Chain Saw. That probably would've been worse than what it turned out to be. I was imaging chunks of flesh surgically removed from the girls the family held captive -- the fat around the stomach, a cheek, an arm -- as they were kept alive as long as possible to keep them fresh. It's nothing nearly as horrible as that... just some blood donations. This isn't a Saw movie. It's more of an exploration of vampire puberty, which is something I don't think I've really see before. Cory Knauf did an excellent job in the role off the teen vampire desperately trying to deny his nature. I've known kids like him (minus the blood-drinker). The rest of the cast isn't quite as believable as he, unfortunately It's no Martin, but it's a good stab at trying something newish in a vampire flick. (6/10)