06 July 2006

MST3K (110)

110 - Robot Holocaust (w/ Radar Men from the Moon, Chapter Nine: Battle in the Stratosphere) - You know that relaxed, comfortable feeling you getting after laughing a lot? It's good. When Crustacean-Bot appears for the first time, the guys all helpfully point out his need for a napkin: "You got a little… something on your mouth there." After that, every time he'd appear on screen, I'd think of that gag and crack up. The riffing was great during the entire movie, from the mocking of Valeria's speech, to the Nuge refs, to the hilarious comments when that annoying robot seemed to die.

Hey, the first cable-era movie in color! The complaint from that letter in 109 must have worked. Plus, this is something made during my childhood, rather than another relic from Boomer-land. Me, I've got a natural affinity for bad 80s movies just the same as the prior generation seems to dig the zippered-rubber-suit monster flicks of the 50s. I liked that Crustacean-Bot was played by Sgt. Kabukiman, N.Y.P.D. himself.

Wow, I've got a weird crush on the speech-impediment-addled, terrible-acting Valaria. That voice and that incredibly hammy acting in a villainess… where my Valaria: The Movie spinoff?

Commando Trashcan Head ends unceremoniously when the film "breaks," never to return. This was an excellent and creative way to show him the door. I wish I could say I'll miss the guy. Mysteriously, the guys boo when the film breaks as if they wanted to watch more Cody and as if they weren't a part of an evil experiment. Of course, this is what we all used to do as kids when the same thing happened at the real theater, which was more the point.

The only weak part of this episode was the host experiments. I wasn't keen on either invention and the others definitely weren't Spacom! Although, I can’t wait to see what names people come up with for Carl, the Guacamole Man. I think I would've submitted: Humanoid Booger. (8/10)

film d. Tim Kincaid (1986)
short d. Fred C. Brannon (1952)
mst p. Jim Mallon (27 Jan 1990?)