24 September 2006

MST3K (402)

402 - The Giant Gila Monster - Ostensibly, this is not a good movie. The titular monster is never photographed correctly and just looks like a regular lizard walking through brush. The close relationship between the sheriff and the town's tow truck driver is inexplicable at best. Still, the film has a charm that makes it endearing. I think part of the reason for this is that it was an independent film made in Texas. This sets it apart from the typical, '50s monsters pictures filmed in Hollywood by the studios. It has a completely different feeling. Kind of down-home. I like it.

"Huzzah, my butt, you satin-suited, Tolkien-reading loser!" Can Frank do wrong? It seems unlikely. Watching Frank beat the hell out of punching bags painted like Renfest rejects is strangely satisfying. I see they are also finally crediting him as "TV's Frank." I guess after two years on the air, he's earned that appellation.

The host segment with the "knee up" montage was brilliant.

Chase: "I carried you in there and I sat on you until you fell asleep." Joel: "Oh, wow." There was more energy in the riffing in this episode compared to the last one. This is just a better movie choice for the guys to dig into, I think. Actually, all of the Munsters riffs (you know, because of the old school hot rods) has put me the mood to watch an ep or two right now. Time to cut this short.

"Mmm, nice uvula." (7/10)

film d. Ray Kellogg (1959)
mst d. Jim Mallon (13 Jun 1992)