09 November 2006

MST3K (503)

503 - Swamp Diamonds (w/ What to Do on a Date) - Roger Corman's very first directing job. You know, I don't think the man ever grew as a director. This first outing has the same weak script and extensive padding seen in his later films It Conquered the World and Viking Women. I know in certain circles people love his movies on an ironic level, but they're not working for me. The padding is torture, man. Give me B.I.G. any day of the week.

The riffing feels reserved lately. Compared to the rat-a-tat-tat style in this season's opener, it seems like the guys have run out of energy. Is it because of my favorite paranoid theory -- the Jim-Joel Wars -- or this just a normal lull in an average season? I'll need more episodes to figure that one out.

They're also playing around with the form and content of the host segments these days. Last ep had the strange Match Game parody. This time, we're given continuity. All four of the post-invention exchange host segments tie into Servo's date with Gypsy. While the mild cliffhanger-light feeling at the end of each is interesting, I think I prefer a random host segment as a break from the film. I like a surprise: a song, some goofiness or a visitor will always work for me.

"Kay's worked on the kill floor. She knows where to deliver the blow." (6/10)

film d. Roger Corman (1955)
short d. Ted Peshak (1951)
mst d. Joel Hodgson (31 Jul 1993)