15 November 2006

MST3K (509)

509 - The Girl in Lovers Lane - Well, that's a bit of a bummer. It's goofy, but I was pulling for those two crazy kids. Maybe Big Stupid wasn't really likable, but lonely waitress Carrie was endearing, if only because she was the only non-prostitute in the entire town. Then again, I'm also a fan of character actor Jack Elam and I'm bummer he didn't get more screen time in this flick. I don't know what to think.

The fitting appellation Big Stupid, the naiveté they build into Danny's character, "shut up, Danny," and helpful identification of all of the "weird areas" we get into made for some fine riffing. I haven't laughed as much since 501. Outside of the depressing ending, this was the perfect type of movie for the guys to chew on. The pair of idiot main characters were seemingly created for the guys to put funny lines into their mouths.

"The Train Song" is probably the best song the guys have come up with yet. Musically it owes a lot to "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash, which is not surprising as that song begins "I hear the train a comin'..." That would also explain why I like the MST version, fan of the Man in Black that I am. I think this is the straw that broke the bot's back. I'm gonna have to order those Clowns in the Sky CDs.

"What, are you gonna give kids poop?" (8/10)

film d. Charles R. Rondeau (1959)
mst d. Joel Hodgson (18 Sep 1993)