26 February 2007

MST3K (705)

705 - Escape 2000 - "I normally like a movie with silver guys jumping out of trucks, but I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with this one." I'm right with you, Mike. You've got your dystopian future with your evil corporatocracy duking it out with your underground freedom fighters. There's lots of gun battles and explosions and slow-mo people flying through the air. Sound great, right? Eh, not so much. I'm sure what it was, but the movie just wasn't very likable. One too many silver guys slow-mo'ing through the air, I suppose.

Also exactly what I was thinking when Mike said it: "I better get over to the Zombie Nightmare set" when Trash first appears onscreen.

"Have you seen a knife like this? But, wait! There's more!" Great riffing in this episode. There were funny names to play with (Trash, Moon, Toblerone), an annoying slogan to repeat ("Leave the Bronx") and an extremely dim-looking main character to mercilessly poke fun of (aforementioned Trash). That's a winning MST3K combo if I've every seen one.

In half the host segments, the SOL kept catching on fire. Not a little, put-out-with-your-countertop-fire-extinguisher fire, either. The whole ship was a mass of flame. I'm thinking this is the crew's way of saying that the writing is on the wall. It doesn't look like Comedy Central is going to pick the show up at this point. There's a final episode to write and characters to send off and new jobs to find. What the hell, might as well burn up the model from the movie!

Mike as Toblerone: brilliant. Is it possible that Mike can go back to playing all of the guest characters again? I forget how good he as at diving into an absurd role after watching him play straight-laced Mike Nelson for 2.5 seasons.

♫"Working on a sex farm..."♫ (8/10)

film d. Enzo G. Castellari (1983)
mst d. Jim Mallon (2 Mar 1996)