16 April 2007

MST3K (909)

909 - Gorgo - If there's one thing MST3K has taught me about myself, it's that I don't like giant monster movies. "Filmed loudly and badly..." is about as accurate as the ACEG gets. All of these giant critter films are always hastily edited and full of noise. My memories of Gorgo, Gamera and Godzilla's cinematic appearances consist mainly of people running around screaming, guns firing uselessly at the titular monster and extremely annoying children. I don't think there's much more to them than that. There's also something about a guy slow-mo-walking in a rubber suit through miniature buildings that puts me right to sleep.

After the ribbing the guys gave him in Laserblast, I suppose it's kind of cool for Leonard Maltin to actually appear on the show. He never does explain why that previous film was rated 2.5 stars in his guide. Instead, he uses his screen time to hawk the new edition of his guide: "When we reviewed it for my number one, best-selling movie and video guide..." "Using my new update movie and video guide, we'll find the worst movie ever..." I dunno. This is not what I want to see on MST3K. Exchanging the grace of your presence for the opportunity to advertise your latest wares is something that should be confined to late night talk shows. If this is the price, I think guest stars should be avoided at all costs. Plus, Mary Jo just seemed really uncomfortable in her segments with the Famous Guy. I guess this explains her absence in the last episode, though.

The only part of the episode I rather liked was the host segment with the Nanites. In this entire post-TV's Frank era, the Nanites are the new additions that I enjoy. Maybe it's because they remind me of Sifl & Olly for some reason? I plain find them entertaining. "Our clown is dead!" Hehe.

"Need any freelance frogmanning services?" (6/10)

film d. Eugène Lourié (1961)
mst d. Michael J. Nelson (18 Jul 1998)